Friday, August 22, 2008

Sad

Dear McHann,

We found out yesterday that you are leaving us. Your mind is there, but your body is failing. It will probably be today or tomorrow that we will need to help you leave. We don't want you to be in pain. We love you too much to try and selfishly hold on while you are suffering.

Let me just say that I cannot imagine a better dog. You have been in our family for nearly 11 years and each one of those has been precious to us. Sure you have had health problems (remember the time we had to take out a freaking loan to fix your ear??), and done some stupid shit (hello bath towels? NOT FOOD!) but it was worth every vet visit/cent and we wouldn't trade you for any other pooch.

Through all your trials, through moving, through having your world turned upside down by a little screaming thing in diapers, you have remained sweet and kind-hearted. Sure you got a little jealous of the baby, but that's understandable! You were our 'baby' before he came along. We tried not to neglect you after he showed up but I know that all of our lives changed a lot- including yours.

You were always up for anything and loved walks, hikes, rides in the car, milk bones, and any people food you could get. I was always a sucker for this and the Husband would tsk-tsk when he saw me slip you some goody off my plate. I knew it was a no-no but I couldn't resist those big brown eyes and the one-eared, earnest expression. You loved tennis balls and your collection of stuffed animals. Your very favorites were your chickens (my mom would send you a new one every year as that is about the length of time for them to get loved to death. :-).

Whenever we took you out, we got compliments, "What a beautiful dog!" You would very dutifully allow strange children to pet you and get excited when meeting new people.

I could go on and on, listing the wonderful things about you and all the great times we had. I hope we gave you a good life. I think we did. You have enriched our lives so much.

I love you and am so sorry to see you go. You will be greatly missed.

2 comments:

Lapa37 said...

I am so very sorry to hear that your beloved pet is passing. It is like losing a member of your family and the pain of it can be overwhelming.I wish you all the best in dealing with this tragedy.You have my deepest sympathies.

Birdie said...

Thank you.