Friday, May 21, 2010

On Bettering Myself and My Surroundings- An Itemized List

     Item #1:  I ran 5K in less than 30 minutes today!  A personal best, if you don't count when I was running cross-country in high school.  Because let's face it- anything pre-baby doesn't really count, especially when I was 16.   I felt really good the whole time, and was able to keep my pace up without feeling like things were getting to crazy.  And I just realized that the 'under 30 minutes' time includes a short break so the dog could take a shit.  Go me!

     Item #2:  I met with an adviser for a master's degree program today.  We talked, specifically, about me applying for said program.  This is scary and cool and weird and exciting all at once.  She was super chill, gave me a tour of the whole department and was generally supportive and encouraging.  I don't know for sure if I'll apply but its something I've been thinking about for a long time and its nice to have a more 3-D image in my brain of how it would be.  In the (ok, somewhat unlikely) event that I did apply and then did get accepted, I wouldn't begin attendance until a year from now, so there is plenty of time to soul-search and hash out the pros (furthering my career, feeding my need to LEARN, a better life for us as a family) and cons (no money, would have to keep full-time job plus go to school, would take a long time, I would be SO BUSY).  But dudes.  School. 

     Item #3:  The in-laws are in town this weekend to help us paint our kitchen.  When we moved into our rental 5 years ago, it had NOT been recently painted and we had the idea that a little fresh paint and sprucing up might take the sting out of not being able to buy a house for a few more years.  And so, after agonizing over paint colors (with our landlady's blessing, of course), we're ready to begin the first room.  We're going with a nice sage-y green color in the kitchen- "like a sushi restaurant" was the husband's request.  While we're at it, I'll either sew or purchase some new cafe curtains and Oila!  A little face-lift on the room in which we probably spend the most time.

     Once the kitchen's done, I plan to move on to the upstairs (main) bathroom (which is currently this weird pink-white color- gross.) and then the basement.  Its fun to have a summer project.  I'm looking forward to a weekend spent wearing old clothes, working with people I love, ordering take out and just generally not thinking about much other than the task at hand.

     Item #4:  Otto and I started some seeds indoors a while back and it looks like we might finally be able to begin thinking about getting them in the actual ground.  We have sunflowers, daisies, cherry tomatoes, peppers, and lettuce.  I also started some herbs in my kitchen window that are coming a long nicely.  Bring on the mojitos!

No comments: