Monday, May 17, 2010

One Small Step for a Toddler...

...a Giant Step for Mama...

Suddenly, we're potty learning.  Well, maybe not suddenly...the little guy has been using the potty before baths and at other random times since he was 18 months or so, but now?  We're full on:  Rockin' some mean Buzz Lightyear underwear, peeing standing up, kicking ass and taking names. 

It seems kind of random, but I just had a hunch this weekend that it might be time.  I can tell he's going through something developmentally (crazy verbal/hyper all weekend, huge leaps in vocabulary, sleeping really hard, eating a ton) and it seemed like a window of opportunity.  He's had little bouts of underwear-wearing here and there (a few hours at a time) but yesterday we rocked it all. day. long.  Except for nap.  But!  He was dry when he woke up.  Rock star!

He was so excited to wear underwear to school this morning, too.   I think he peed in the potty 4 times before we left the house.  "Just in case, Mama," he said. 

I just hope it goes well and that everyone is positive and encouraging to him.  I know that he's at a great place and they potty train A LOT of kiddos so they know what they are doing.   And there really is something to be said for peer pressure.  He was the most excited to show his best friend in his class (who's been potty trained for a couple months) his undies.

I really love his teacher and I know that she will be supportive and patient with him but I still have this little knot of anxiety about it.  I'm going to have to stop myself from calling once an hour today, probably.

I know its just the first of many achievements I'll be nervous for him about.  Ok, it's 8:11 am.   I might have to call them now.  Heh.

No comments: