Monday, January 3, 2011

New beginning

Every time we come back from an extended break, like over the holidays, the first day is killer.  I actually cried in the car this morning after dropping my kid off at daycare.  I miss him.

To distract myself from this gross intrusion of 'real life', I'm thinking about my goals for 2011.  A new year.  A chance to start over in some ways.  Or, alternately, just a good excuse to thinking about habits we'd either like to change or to cultivate.

Here's what I've got so far:

Do less:

-Consuming:  I'm going to "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."  Or at least do my best.   I'm going to continue to reuse whatever can be reused and buy pre-owned whenever possible.  We're blessed here with  several used/second hand stores and while I already take advantage, I'm going to kick it up a notch.

- TV watching:  This isn't a huge problem for me, but I think I could do better.  My default at the end of a shitty day is to veg in front of the tube with a libation.  And even if its just a half hour, my time would be better spent (and probably more relaxing) if I read, knitted, listened to music or did something that didn't completely shut my brain down.

Do more:

-Snuggling, listening, playing with my kid:  I feel like we do a lot of this, but there's always room for improvement, right?  My goal is to give him more of my UNDIVIDED attention. 

- "Snuggle" with my husband:  Yeah, um, sometimes the husband and I get distracted by everything that's going on and neglect to make time for eachother.  Ahem.

- Yoga:  Its SO GOOD for me and I know that but for some reason, I do it like twice a month right now.  But after a good yoga session, I'm noticeably less stressed, more at peace and I even see improvements in my running.  Yoga = good.

What goals do you have for this new year?  

No comments: