Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Making History

I have to say that while I enjoy following politics, I find election years to be simultaneously exciting and monumentally depressing. Here we are, 9 days into the new year and everything is suddenly all about the presidential race. ALL THE TIME. Its sort of thrilling right now, but I wonder what tolerance I'll have come August and September...

I took this fun little quiz and my top matches were Kucinich, Dodd, Clinton, and Obama. Which I think I already knew. My strategy is to just pick the few issues that I am really really passionate about and go with the candidate that agrees with me the most. I know this may not be the best way of doing things but I feel like it saves my sanity- no candidate is ever going to be perfect. The perfect candidate, in my mind, wouldn't get involved in politics in the first place.

Realistically, I will probably be backing either Clinton or Obama in the fall, so I've been reading up on their stances on various issues. They both have things going for them and aspects to their experiences/histories/personalities that give me pause.

The cool thing about this, however, is that with either candidate, we will be making history. We will be able to say we were there when a black man or when a woman ran for president of the United States and actually had a chance. Pretty fuckin' cool.

No comments: