Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Favorite Things: Definitely NOT a Clustercuss

Readers of this blog may know that I have a little tiny, itsy bitsy crush on all things Wes Anderson. When I try to pinpoint exactly what it is about his films that attracts me so much its hard to zoom in on any one thing...I just love them. The tone, the stories, the visual aesthetic, the music...I love it all.

The characters are dry...but funny...but serious...but real...all at once.  The tiny details in each set fascinate me and I think that's one of the reasons I can watch his films over and over again- I'm always noticing something I've missed in past viewings;  the writing on a document in the background, a funny sign or a wardrobe piece that says something about a character.

We recently procured his latest, the stop-motion animated, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and none of us can really get enough of it.  As silly as this may sound, I love that an artist like Wes Anderson exists and I'm glad he made something appropriate for me to watch with my kid.  ("Are you cussin' with me?"  Haha!)  His movies inspire me to be creative, to read books I wouldn't normally read, and in some ways help validate the way I see the world.  I'm not saying I could be one of his characters, but I definitely identify with many of them.

Plus, have I mentioned how rockin' the soundtracks are?  Rolling Stones and The Kinks are some of his (and my) faves.

Love!

1 comment:

Jasie VanGesen said...

agreed, so wholeheartedly that it hurts. I remember the first time I saw Rushmore, I was 17 or 18, and just mesmerized by everything about it. I ADORED the Royal Tenenbaums and enjoyed The Life Aquatic & Darjeeling Limited, though maybe not quite as much as the other two films. They were maybe 8's on a scale of 1 to 10, which is pretty good, still.

Fantastic Mister Fox was an eleven, for sure. We took Silas to see it in the theater and all 3 of us could not stop laughing. Soooo good.