Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Mini-break= Good. Weight Gain = Ugh.

Hooray for 3-day weekends! The Husband and I went on a mini-break to Boulder, CO and had some much needed couple-time. It was lovely. Even though we are kind of broke at the moment, we just said 'screw it' and had fun. We ate tons of great food, did lots of window shopping and generally enjoyed eachother's company. We even ordered room service for breakfast because that is one of my all-time favorite, decadent things to do (I had banana-stuffed french toast. OMG it was SO good.) A yummy time, all around.

The trip had a practical purpose as well: We got our baby registry squared away. Feels good to have that all done. There's so much crap out there for babies, its hard to know what will be actually needed and what is just so much fluff. Fortunately, I have lots of mommy-friends who give advice freely so I think we did ok. As long as we get the co-sleeper, the carseat, and something to wrap the little guy up in, I think we will be golden.

We also did lots of talking about this new little person who will be here soon. We are already referring to him by name so much that it is hard to remember not to use it in anyone else's company. We really want to keep the name a secret if we can, but its difficult not to let it slip. I've taken to calling him the Karate Kid lately, as his kicks (or headbutts or whatever they are) have assumed such force, I can only guess that he is practicing to be a cage fighter.

**********************************

I am 24 weeks today. I look in the mirror in the morning and just have to shake my head in wonderment at the changes that have taken place in the last month or so. I am now unmistakeably pregnant. Its a weird feeling. And I know that I will only get bigger in the next 3 1/2 months. I am also finding it difficult to not worry about the weight gain. I know its normal and healthy and blah blah blah but I have worked so hard in the last 2 years to trim down and get in great shape that it is very challenging for me to see my meticulously toned body turn to what feels like marshmallow goo. I'm still exercising every day and trying to watch what I eat but I'm just so hungry all the time! My body has taken on a mind of its own, morphing into something completely unrecognizable and decidedly not skinny.

I know that a healthy baby is the number one most important thing...but is it so selfish of me to want to keep my thighs too? Yes, probably. I am already a horrible mother. Vainly caring about my cellulite when there is a little Karate Kid who needs lots of nourishment. Sigh. I think I'll go have a cookie.

1 comment:

buffy said...

oh, honey, pregnancy is the all-around BEST time to just eat when you're hungry and not worry about it, because it's absolutely good for the baby to keep yourself full and happy.