Monday, April 21, 2008

Face the (plastic) Music

So I've been hearing about this issue for a while, but in true ostrich-like fashion, I have buried my head in the sand while plugging my ears and whistling "Dixie." The time has come, however, to face the sad, sad facts: Plastics are EVIL.

Exhibit A: Toxic Baby Bottles

Exhibit B: Na!gene Water Bottles being not so good either

Sigh.

Today I ordered some of these and one of these.

We don't do a ton of plastic, but Otto takes bottles at daycare and my na!gene bottle has been practically attached to my water-guzzling face for the last 5 years or so. So I may be a little behind the curve but I'm trying to catch up!

Of course, its impossible- IMPOSSIBLE, I say! to protect our babies (or ourselves, for that matter) from every potential harm out there, but when its something like this...something that just might be really harmful and is avoidable, dropping upwards of $50 to replace bottles, sippy cups and such doesn't seem like that big a deal. We do the best we can, don't we?

On the plus side, I got a little shopper's high from ordering all this stuff. And that has to be a good thing. Right?

2 comments:

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

So you are going with Klean Kanteen, huh? I cannot decide between those and SIGG. I know those liners in SIGG are questionable - what do you think? I just can't decide. I thought about doing foogo for the girls' cups. Decisions!

Heidi said...

It's always something.

I am convinced I will some day die from some strange disease that is caused by doing something I think is ok to do. Like Yoga, or eating carrots, or more likely, drinking 12oz of Diet Coke a day. Can you say brain tumor?