The stars are realigning.
So, in the spirit of optimism, here, finally, are my goals for the new year. I don't say resolutions because, I dunno... that word is just so certain, so final. If you mess up you feel like a loser who might as well just quit right now and go work at burger king, stop washing your hair and have chili cheese fries for every meal. Goals are just that...goals. There's a little flex room built in. And if you simply make progress towards a goal, it still counts. Or at least that's what I tell myself.
1. Continue to improve my fitness- my goal here is to be able to competently run a 5K this summer. The treadmill I got for Xmas should help with this and when the warm(er) weather returns, the pavement and I will get reacquainted. I'll keep doing the 30 Day Shred like I have been and now that I no longer nurse Little O at lunch, that opens up that time to walking home for lunch on nice days.
2. Write more. Try to write every day. Even if its just "Today was." in my journal. I'd like to have another essay published in a zine* this year...who knows?
3. Learn new music on the piano. I'm currently looking for a new piano book to learn but I also want to teach myself some things by ear...possibly beginning with this song. I love it.
4. Get better at knitting socks.
5. Relax. Live. Laugh. Enjoy my kid. Love my husband. Chill with friends more often. Appreciate the small things and realize how incredibly fucking lucky I am to have such a kick ass family, steady employment, beautiful place to live and all that. Take time to smell the cookies. (Because, hello, cookies way better than roses IMHO).
*Oh, I didn't tell you guys about that? Yeah, I had an essay published in a very small zine. It was kinda cool. And gave me a taste for bigger and better things...