Thursday, April 5, 2007

The Galloping Fetus

First the answer to the question that I'm sure is on everyone's mind (that is, it would be if anyone actually knew this blog existed- ha): The appointment with the midwife went just fine, thanks. She was very nice and not at all scary or wart covered.* We heard a heartbeat (only the 2nd time I've heard it- sounds like a little horse galloping), and talked about weight gain (I've gained 2 lbs since my 11w appointment- am 16w now). We also chatted briefly about Dr. Sears books (which I have been reading) and she wholeheartedly recommended them. Yay!

I declined the triple/quad screen which I hope was the right decision. My reasoning was this: #1 - I am under 35, #2- there is no history of any problems in my family or the husband's #3- the test has a high instance of false positives and #4- it costs money. The MW supported me in this decision, which I really appreciated. I got the distinct impression that an OBGYN may have pushed the issue.

Next appointment is the 20 weeker where it just might be possible to see the sex. Yikes. Have to see a male OBGYN for that one as they are the only ones in the practice who perform this particular service. Trying not to be nervous about this. (I know, I am a nut-case. No need to remind me thanks.) Apparently, if we bring a blank DVD, they will make a copy for us. It will be weird, I think to assign a gender to this little creature I'm carrying around...not knowing is kind of fun. But the husband really wants to know and as this is happening to him too, I figured I'd indulge him. And there's no way he gets to know something that I don't and that's all there is to it.

*This was an actual fear I had.**

**Just kidding. But I was nervous that I wouldn't like her or something.

No comments: