Monday, October 20, 2008

Bittersweet

It always surprises me, when we descend from our lofty perch here at 7200 ft. and go south that the seasons are just a bit slower down there. (It makes sense, of course, but its easy to get stuck in your own bubble and forget that not everyone lives at high altitude.) Here, we are nearing the bittersweet end of fall: The aspen leaves, which only recently were a beautiful green, contrasting with their white trunks, and then even more recently, brilliant gold coins that rattled and clinked in the wind, are now mostly gone, swept into gutters and raked into bags. The cottonwoods are nearly bald, the reminders of their summer beauty crunch and crinkle beneath our shoes. The days are chilly and the nights even more so. I've had frost on my windshield every morning in the past week.



So you can imagine our delight at being in Colorado this weekend. It was somehow nourished my soul to see full-fledged Fall again- lawns were still green, trees still had their brilliantly colored leaves. And the temperature! We spent a glorious afternoon at the zoo, enjoying 70+ degree weather.



And now, today, back in my office with a window overlooking the college campus, I can see the dead leaves whipping around the cold-weather clad students as they brave the bracing wind on their way to class.

I love this town, this state...I'm glad we chose this place to create our home and to raise our son.

But sometimes, just sometimes, I wish we could postpone winter a bit.

No comments: